Megalodon (1 Viewer)

Megalodon

Bawse

Resident Schism
Jul 9, 2024
Soul Shards
Do you believe the Megalodon exists in our ocean?

I think it'd be cool, but scary if the Megalodon was still around.

• Digging it
Reactions: Web Diva

zoldos

Schism Admin
Resident Schism
May 29, 2024
the Ether
Soul Shards
I agree. And if we still haven't produced credible evidence of Bigfoot or Loch Ness, then I doubt we will of this!!

• Digging it

Web Diva

Resident Schism
May 30, 2024
Soul Shards
I think the fact that we don't have massive orca and great white shark deaths appear on our beaches often probably affirms we don't have a megalodon. The movie, "Meg" was really good though.

• Digging it
Reactions: zoldos

xj900uk

Resident Schism
May 30, 2024
Soul Shards
Most scientists and marine biologists believe it died out around half a million years ago inbetween ice ages. It had been so successful that it had eaten itself out of existence. However, there is one fly in the ointment, the 'CHallenger tooth'w hich was found by the HMS Challenger, a RN ship, in about 1866 whilst it was dredging the sea bed for various items and shells, and brought up a megladon tooth (although it was not known to belong to the Megladon back then). This 'Challenger tooth' has been carbon-dated from being only 10,000 B>C., whilst the last Ice Age was beginning to end and that man was around, lived in caves and was starting to fish the sea - so it is conceivable that man encountered the Megladon at this time. Assuming the carbon-dating is genuine as it has been alleged that the tooth,w hilst genuine, was contaminated by other items around it and also in the clumsy way that it was obtained.

I do not know if the Megladon still exists, but I do know very little of the sea especially the deep parts of the globe have been properly investigated and explored. If it is down there, it could easily hide. Nobody has seen a truly gigantic squid but we do know that they can easily grow up to 90 feet long, probably bigger. We know this because a dead juvenile specimin was washed up off the New Zealand coast in the 19th century, it was a juvenile so marine biologists can compute how big it would have been had it lived to adult-hood. We can also tell the truly gigantic squid exists as its sucker marks from its tentacles have been found on the bodies of sperm whales that it has done battle with - they see from the size of the marks/welts just how big the squids can truly get.

• Holy shit!
  • Digging it
Reactions: Web Diva and zoldos

zoldos

Schism Admin
Resident Schism
May 29, 2024
the Ether
Soul Shards
I'd love to explore the deep ocean. There are just so many species we haven't discovered!! Or, as you say, some ancient ones that may still exist. Very cool!

• Digging it

xj900uk

Resident Schism
May 30, 2024
Soul Shards
Well, there are plety of places down there a Megladon, or a giant member of any other species could hide, there is so much of it that remains unexplored. Heck, we know more about the far surface of the Moon than we do about most of the Ocean!

• Holy shit!
  • Digging it
Reactions: zoldos and Web Diva

Web Diva

Resident Schism
May 30, 2024
Soul Shards
The ocean is pretty scary. No doubt there are an abundant amount of species not even recorded yet, and may not ever be recorded because, as humans we can't submerge that deep...yet.

• Holy shit!

xj900uk

Resident Schism
May 30, 2024
Soul Shards
Well we can send the odd sub and probe down, but they are very few and far between because of the immense pressures. So there could be plenty of unknown species hiding down there. Did you know tha even on a coral reef (which normally only exists between 5m-15m deep for best conditions) roughly 35% of life on them has never been properly examined, catalogued or documented. And now the coral reefs are going extinct faster than we can ever get to properly go over them to discover all the different forms of life that exist on or around them.

• Digging it
  • *is sad
Reactions: Web Diva and zoldos

zoldos

Schism Admin
Resident Schism
May 29, 2024
the Ether
Soul Shards
How do you know the human underwater explorers weren't gobbled up by a giant squid as opposed to a Megladon. At least we do definitely know the giant man-eating squids are down there and very real. And hungry.
I'm scared of the deep ocean. The closest I'll get is the beach. lol

zoldos

Schism Admin
Resident Schism
May 29, 2024
the Ether
Soul Shards
Better hurry up and discover it as we are destroying and polluting the oceans so fast these days...
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

xj900uk

Resident Schism
May 30, 2024
Soul Shards
The World is a beautiful place. But sadly it is fast disappearing thanks largely to the effects, pollution and climate destruction caused by stupid humans. Soon it will have all gone and it won't be coming back! (btw this picture was taken in my garden last summer, so it's not quite all gone!)DSCF2441.JPG

• *is sad

zoldos

Schism Admin
Resident Schism
May 29, 2024
the Ether
Soul Shards
The World is a beautiful place. But sadly it is fast disappearing thanks largely to the effects, pollution and climate destruction caused by stupid humans. Soon it will have all gone and it won't be coming back! (btw this picture was taken in my garden last summer, so it's not quite all gone!)View attachment 90
I plan to enjoy the rest of my life, and keep my family and friends close. As for anything else, I frankly don't give two shits.

Users who are viewing this thread